"Students who used BrainWare Safari in 3rd grade and returned in 4th grade reduced the gap between their performance and expectation by at least half on reading tests. Students who used the program in 4th grade and returned in 5th grade reduced the gap by 75%. We currently focus on using the program with Title I students because it helps them more rapidly close the gap by developing skills they lack and that are difficult to remediate in any other way. We wish funding permitted us to use the program with all of our students."
The First Cognitively Based Reading Programs
SkateKids™ and Ramps To Reading™ are online digital game-based reading programs built to stimulate and develop the cognitive processes necessary for learning to read while students build critical literacy skills.
- Ramps To Reading™ (Ages 4 to 7) takes early readers from initial pre-literacy levels to basic word reading and comprehension. Engaging games help learners acquire and practice skills in a developmentally appropriate sequence.
- SkateKids™ (Ages 7 to 12) cultivates early readers in an immersive environment that scaffolds reading levels as it helps learners develop critical thinking and metacognitive skills.
Scientific research has demonstrated that a series of cognitive processes are involved in learning to read, including:
Planning: The student decides how to attack a task, exerting cognitive control over processes and knowledge with intentionality.
Attention: Focused cognitive activity and resistance to distraction are essential in the process of learning to read.
Simultaneous and Sequential Processing: Reading, like many other tasks requires the brain to simultaneously process a mass of information and then to take in and manipulate the sequence of information, from the letters in a word to the sentences in a paragraph.
SkateKids and Ramps To Reading explicitly develop Planning, Attention, and Simultaneous and Sequential Processing to enable students to make rapid gains in the acquisition of literacy skills, along with the skills identifed by the National Reading Panel.
These highly effective programs complement any existing reading program by ensuring that students can build effective learning strategies, while developing the cognitive skills necessary to become proficient readers.
Want to learn more? Here are some helpful resources:
- Sign up for a live web demo of SkateKids and Ramps to Reading -- CLICK HERE.
- Watch a prerecorded demo of SkateKids - CLICK HERE
- Watch a prerecorded demo of Ramps To Reading -- CLICK HERE
- Download an overview of SkateKids and Ramps To Reading -- CLICK HERE.
- Download a chart of the skills developed in SkateKids and Ramps To Reading - CLICK HERE